Sunday, October 3, 2010

Using Your Schema...What is Schema??!!

 This week I will be assessing the students for report cards.  Report cards will be issued on Thursday, October 14.    I will still have reading groups but they will be abbreviated than normal.  Please do not be concerned if you do not receive notification this week of your child passing a unit.  I will  assess word wall words on Wednesday.  I will notify you by Friday how your child did on the word wall words.  Remember that word wall words must be read instantly and upon sight. This past week I purchased some alphabet stamps that work with playdough and a popular assignment was to spell word wall words!  Our classroom is blossoming with readers!

This week we will be working with the letter Ss as in "spider in the soup.".  The word wall words for this week are:  seven, little, down, me.  These words will be assessed in December.

We continue to spend our math time working with numbers, sets and learning how to write numerals.
 
During whole group reading instruction, I have been modeling for the students "how to use your schema to understand stories." I've instructed the children that schema is everything in your head that you know to be true and make sense. Your schema comes from all the places you've been, things you've done,  and books you've read.  Your schema is all the experiences you've had that makes up who you are.  When children use their schema, it allows to them to make connections to the text of the story and assists in predicting and comprehending.  When you hear your child say "I'm using my schema" you will know that your child is laying the foundation to be a comprehending reader!

We are busy learning about letters, words and sentences during centers.  As you can see by these photographs, our classroom is a very joyful place full of children who are working hard and doing their best.

We have a busy week..  Please take notice of the following dates:  
  •   Tuesday:  return library books
  • Tuesday:  PTA meeting at 6:00.  The classroom with the highest percentage of families in attendance gets a Nancy's Italian Ice party and the teacher gets a gift card to Walmart.   (There will be NO homework on Tuesday night so please try to attend.)
  • Wednesday:  word wall words assessment
  • Thursday is picture day with children allowed to be out of uniform. 
  • Friday is the last day to turn in money for the Pumpkin Patch field trip. 

 There will be no school on Monday, October 11.  It is a teacher in-service day.  Enjoy your three day weekend.  Be sure to spend a little bit of time this weekend reading and rereading your child's poetry journal!

Email me with any questions or concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment