Twenty precious children make up the wonderful world of Room 115. I'm the luckiest teacher that I get to spend the next 180 days with this group! Check us out!
Starting Monday, August 27 you will need to provide a snack for your child. You may send a drink (juice box or water bottle - no soft drinks) and a snack. Make sure that that the snack is in a different container than the lunch. Remind your child the difference between the two. The school does sell juice/snack items. You can purchase a drink (orange juice) for $2.50 for the week. The snack items are: pretzels, peanut butter crackers, Doritoes and Cheetos. Snack is $2.50 for the entire week. To protect instructional time, you can only purchase juice/snack on Mondays for the entire week. Money cannot be collected if you are tardy. I do not keep extra snacks in the classroom, so if you choose not to send/purchase a snack your child will not have anything to eat.
Starting on Monday (and every Monday for the rest of the school year), Nancy's Italian Ice will be offering Italian Ice for $1.00. This is a special treat and the children last year enjoyed it tremendously. If you would like to pay for several weeks at a time, I will allow that or you can pay by the week. If you choose to write a check for multiple weeks, I will let you know when you are on your last Italian Ice. Please note that not all teachers like to keep track of Italian Ice so other siblings in the building may have teachers that do not allow multiple week purchases of Italian Ice. For me, the less money I'm collecting means more time I have for instruction. If you choose not to purchase Italian Ice please discuss this choice with your child so they are prepared when the Italian Ice is delivered to the classroom. The Italian Ice will be delivered during our snack time so you may not want to send a snack on Mondays if you are purchasing Italian Ice. A note went home on Friday detailing information about Italian Ice.
Thank you so much for labeling all money so that I may efficiently get the money to the correct accounts.
Last Wednesday I placed a reading log in the white notebooks. MPS requires that a child read/be read to for 20 minutes five days a week (at my house it is seven days a week!). Initial the reading log every night that you read out loud to your child. The data shows that the more you read to your child, the better the reader he/she will be so go ahead and make the 20 minutes of reading seven days a week like my family.
This week we begin our whole group reading instruction. This week we will investigate the letter Aa. We will have a little rhyme for every letter. The rhyme this week is "ant on an apple." Our sight words for the week are: red, yellow, blue, one. Sight words are words that your child needs to be able to recognize immediately upon sight (no hesitation or sounding out). Refer to the reading handout that was in your child's binder on Thursday evening as a reference for the first nine weeks' reading instruction.
In Math we are working with the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 this week. I will be giving you ideas on how to help your child with math at our cluster meeting on Thursday, September 6.
Did you find our poetry journal in Friday's book bag? We are excited that we were able to open school last week. Our poetry journal will come home every Friday. Refer to the letter that I wrote on the inside cover for the reason I use poems in the classroom. Make sure the poetry journal is returned on Monday.
We rotate every three weeks to a specialist (pe, music/art, and computers). On the weeks we visit music/art and computers I will be taking the children outside on the playground for thirty minutes. On the weeks we go to Coach Grant, we will not be visiting the playground. We start off with Coach Grant so we will not be visiting the playground until we rotate. (I did take the children out to the playground last week just to help ease the transition of attending full day Kindergarten.)
Our day to visit the library is every Monday. Your child will be bringing home a book from the library. Enjoy it all week. Read it and reread it and reread it again. Please return it every Monday so that a new book can be checked out.
The children are doing an excellent job of learning the rules and expectations of the classroom and the school. Please give us one more week of learning the lunchroom rules before joining us for lunch.
If your child wants a sweater to wear in the classroom due to the temperature, please make sure the clothing is a solid navy, white or red. This is written in the Blount handbook. You may purchase a Blount sweatshirt or fleece from the PTA that may be worn in the classroom.
I sent out a test email to all parents last Wednesday. I asked for a quick reply to make sure I had the correct email address. Please check your spam folder and respond accordingly. I try to be prompt about returning emails. If you have not heard a response from me within twelve hours, please resend the email.
Thank you so much for the quick return on the required paperwork. Your quick response allows me to focus on instruction. A few things to remember:
Upcoming events:
8.31: Box Top collection day: send in any box tops/soup labels.
9.3: No school in observance of Labor Day
9.6 Cluster Meeting for Room 115: choose either 5:30 pm or 7:00 pm to attend. No children please.
9.11 PTA General Membership Meeting at 6:00.
9.28 Box Top collection day
10.11 Fall Picture Day
10.18 Blount Fall Festival
Please contact me with any questions or concerns. Have a great week and don't forget the upcoming three day weekend!
Starting Monday, August 27 you will need to provide a snack for your child. You may send a drink (juice box or water bottle - no soft drinks) and a snack. Make sure that that the snack is in a different container than the lunch. Remind your child the difference between the two. The school does sell juice/snack items. You can purchase a drink (orange juice) for $2.50 for the week. The snack items are: pretzels, peanut butter crackers, Doritoes and Cheetos. Snack is $2.50 for the entire week. To protect instructional time, you can only purchase juice/snack on Mondays for the entire week. Money cannot be collected if you are tardy. I do not keep extra snacks in the classroom, so if you choose not to send/purchase a snack your child will not have anything to eat.
Starting on Monday (and every Monday for the rest of the school year), Nancy's Italian Ice will be offering Italian Ice for $1.00. This is a special treat and the children last year enjoyed it tremendously. If you would like to pay for several weeks at a time, I will allow that or you can pay by the week. If you choose to write a check for multiple weeks, I will let you know when you are on your last Italian Ice. Please note that not all teachers like to keep track of Italian Ice so other siblings in the building may have teachers that do not allow multiple week purchases of Italian Ice. For me, the less money I'm collecting means more time I have for instruction. If you choose not to purchase Italian Ice please discuss this choice with your child so they are prepared when the Italian Ice is delivered to the classroom. The Italian Ice will be delivered during our snack time so you may not want to send a snack on Mondays if you are purchasing Italian Ice. A note went home on Friday detailing information about Italian Ice.
Thank you so much for labeling all money so that I may efficiently get the money to the correct accounts.
Last Wednesday I placed a reading log in the white notebooks. MPS requires that a child read/be read to for 20 minutes five days a week (at my house it is seven days a week!). Initial the reading log every night that you read out loud to your child. The data shows that the more you read to your child, the better the reader he/she will be so go ahead and make the 20 minutes of reading seven days a week like my family.
This week we begin our whole group reading instruction. This week we will investigate the letter Aa. We will have a little rhyme for every letter. The rhyme this week is "ant on an apple." Our sight words for the week are: red, yellow, blue, one. Sight words are words that your child needs to be able to recognize immediately upon sight (no hesitation or sounding out). Refer to the reading handout that was in your child's binder on Thursday evening as a reference for the first nine weeks' reading instruction.
In Math we are working with the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 this week. I will be giving you ideas on how to help your child with math at our cluster meeting on Thursday, September 6.
Did you find our poetry journal in Friday's book bag? We are excited that we were able to open school last week. Our poetry journal will come home every Friday. Refer to the letter that I wrote on the inside cover for the reason I use poems in the classroom. Make sure the poetry journal is returned on Monday.
We rotate every three weeks to a specialist (pe, music/art, and computers). On the weeks we visit music/art and computers I will be taking the children outside on the playground for thirty minutes. On the weeks we go to Coach Grant, we will not be visiting the playground. We start off with Coach Grant so we will not be visiting the playground until we rotate. (I did take the children out to the playground last week just to help ease the transition of attending full day Kindergarten.)
Our day to visit the library is every Monday. Your child will be bringing home a book from the library. Enjoy it all week. Read it and reread it and reread it again. Please return it every Monday so that a new book can be checked out.
The children are doing an excellent job of learning the rules and expectations of the classroom and the school. Please give us one more week of learning the lunchroom rules before joining us for lunch.
If your child wants a sweater to wear in the classroom due to the temperature, please make sure the clothing is a solid navy, white or red. This is written in the Blount handbook. You may purchase a Blount sweatshirt or fleece from the PTA that may be worn in the classroom.
I sent out a test email to all parents last Wednesday. I asked for a quick reply to make sure I had the correct email address. Please check your spam folder and respond accordingly. I try to be prompt about returning emails. If you have not heard a response from me within twelve hours, please resend the email.
Thank you so much for the quick return on the required paperwork. Your quick response allows me to focus on instruction. A few things to remember:
- An excuse for any absence must be sent in within two days of returning back to school.
- Any change in mode of afternoon transportation must be in writing. I will not take the word of your child. (Transportation hats no longer need to be returned. The children did a fabulous job of learning the ropes of afternoon dismissal.)
Upcoming events:
8.31: Box Top collection day: send in any box tops/soup labels.
9.3: No school in observance of Labor Day
9.6 Cluster Meeting for Room 115: choose either 5:30 pm or 7:00 pm to attend. No children please.
9.11 PTA General Membership Meeting at 6:00.
9.28 Box Top collection day
10.11 Fall Picture Day
10.18 Blount Fall Festival
Please contact me with any questions or concerns. Have a great week and don't forget the upcoming three day weekend!

Thank you so much for posting this! Ashlyn & I enjoyed watching the slide shows. She likes to tell me the names of her friends. :) She got really excited when she recognized the book you read from your bookshelf! She started telling me all about it. This is a really great way to get her to talk to me more about what she's doing in school instead of her typical answer, "I like to play outside". ;)
ReplyDelete