Friday, October 12, 2012

Fuzzy Wuzzy and Other Fun Times


Has the tongue twister Fuzzy Wuzzy been repeated at your house this past week?  The students of Room 115 certainly practiced this rhyme.  I heard it at lunch, on the playground, during centers and even in the bathroom.  I know some of you have been talking about tongue twisters at home because Peter Piper was shared from several students.  Tongue twisters are a fun way for beginning readers to understand language.  Enjoy this week's poetry journal and be sure to return it on Monday for next week's selection.

This week we will be discussing the letter Ss as in "spider in the soup." The word wall words are:  little,down, me, seven.  I sent out emails Friday afternoon with the results of your child's word wall word assessments from last week.  Look for the word wall list for the second nine weeks in Monday's binder.

In math, we are discussing the number 10.  Ten is an important number in our mathematical system so we will be working with the number ten and comparing it to other numbers for the next several weeks. Want to help at home...use the words greater and less than at home.  For example:  If you are playing trains, ask who has the greater number of train cars? 

Now that the weather is beginning to cool off, the sweaters have emerged.  Please label all clothing.  We have a lot of  navy blue sweaters and they tend to look the same.  Names inside the sweaters  help to locate the owner quickly.

A favorite book in our classroom is King Bidgood's in the Bathtub  written by Audrey Wood.  This week we used our schema (everything in our head that we know to be true) to make a text to self connection.  Good readers make connections with the book they are reading with their own lives.  We have a very happy display in our classroom highlighting King Bidgood and text-to-self connections.


Next week reading groups will be abbreviated as I do report card assessments.  Homework may or may not come home daily.  Keep checking binders nightly.  Thanks for supporting the learning of Room 115.  It is hard for me to believe that we are entering the ninth week of school.  It is going by so quickly. 

Nancy's Italian Ice is Monday for $1.00.  Monday is also our library day so please remind your child to pack the library book.

Starting next week, I am going to tighten up on writing our names the traditional way.  The children know that beginning Monday, I expect to only see a capital letter at the beginning.  When your child writes his/her name at home, please have the same expectations.

Field trip money is due Tuesday.  Lunch is included in the price.  It will be an enjoyable time.  There is NO limit on chaperones for this trip.  Chaperones will pay their $5.00 entrance fee at the gate.  I hope you can make it.  Please let me know if you plan to attend.

Thanks for your support of the Fall Festival.  Our class has contributed candy,  parents have volunteered for shifts and wristbands have been purchased.  I can't wait to see all of you Thursday night.  Thank you so much for supporting our school!  If you did not purchase early bird wristbands, wristbands will be available at the gate.  Don't worry about  fixing dinner, grab it at the concession stand.

As an educator I love uniforms but it is fun to watch the personalities of the children when they can dress out of uniform.  I might be biased but I think Room 115 is the best class in the school. I dearly love these children and think I'm pretty lucky that I get to spend my day with them.


Want to celebrate October with our class?  We are putting together our first "Crafternoon" of the year for Room 115.  It will be on Friday, October 26 from 1:45-3:00.  We will be doing everything the spider way.  The room parents sent out information the week before last.  Please contact me or the room parents if you are interested in helping out.

We are in the final weeks of the PTA's Just Give campaign.  I can attest that the PTA is very good stewards of the money they raise.  Their primary interest is to make sure the classrooms have what is needed for effective instruction.  The nice thing about the Just Give campaign is that every penny stays at our school. The Just Give campaign runs until November 1. Thank you supporting our school!

Upcoming events:
10.18  Blount Fall Festival 4:30 pm-7:30 pm (rain date is October 25)
10.19  The first nine weeks of Kindergarten ends
10.25  Report cards are issued at 3:10
10.26  Rooom 115's Crafternoon  1:45-3:00
10.29  Chappy's Spirit Night
10.30  Kindergarten field trip to the pumpkin patch
11.1  Just Give campaign ends
11.12  No school in observance of Veteran's Day


Contact me with any questions or concerns.  Hope to see you at the Fall Festival on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment