Saturday, January 5, 2013

It's So Good To Be Back!

We returned to the new year a little bit taller,  with new shoes, new haircuts, less teeth and even a hot pink cast.  How nice it was to get back into a routine.  But the best news from our short week  was the addition of a new friend.  We are now back up to twenty:  ten girls and ten boys.  We know our new friend likes pasta, the color orange, the number six and bows and arrows and his favorite animal is an alligator.  He is going to fit right in with Room 115.  Join us for lunch one day and meet our new friend!

Field trip information came home in Friday's binder.  Please return the signed permission slip, the payment of $10.00 and your child's lunch selection of either cheese pizza or a hot dog.  Please have all paperwork and payment  turned in by Tuesday, January 15.  (Field trip money can be turned in any day of the week, unlike other money.  I know school life can be confusing but there really is a purpose/reason for the system.)

This week we will be working with the letter Pp as in "policeman in the park."  The word wall words will be find, had, play, come, have.


We continue to work on subtracting.  If you are at a restaurant waiting on the food, play some subtraction games with the crayons available for coloring sheets.  Lay out five crayons and take two away.  Ask your child for the answer.  I've introduced  the words subtract, take away and minus to the children but be aware our math curriculum uses the word minus the majority of the time.

Return library books, bring a $1.00 if desiring Italian Ice, and turn in poetry journals on Monday.

Tuesday is the day to wear our green grade level t-shirt and jeans!  Wear jeans and Blount spirit wear on Friday.

On Monday, I will send home information about a  voluntary vision screening that will be done on Thursday.  If you are interested, please return the form on Tuesday. 

Check out this slideshow.  This is the view I had on Friday while working in small groups. I am a blessed teacher! 


I'm going to send home information regarding Accelerated Reader (AR) and how it will work in Room 115 on Tuesday. I have a parent who can come in this Thursday  to help the children so I'm going to start AR testing this week instead of the 14th as I posted last week.  To protect instructional time and to  help me get the students accustomed to AR,  I need volunteers on Mondays and Thursdays for the next four weeks.  It would be from 9:30-10:30 am.  You do not have to agree to work every Monday or Thursday - just tell me the dates you are available.  Please read the handout that I send home about AR.  I want you to understand my view of AR and how to approach it with your child.  AR does not need to be stressful to your child or your family life.  My goal is for your child to love books and not how many AR tests they can take in a school year.

On Wednesday, February 6 we are going to hear children's recording artist Stephen Fite.   You have already paid for this field trip.  His concert is pirate themed.  Here is a message from Stephen:

Captain Stephen will be walking the decks in his best pirate wear and invites you and your band of scallywags to do the same.  What does a proper pirate wear you might ask?  Why, they wear their proper pirate gear, of course.  Items such as pirate hats or head bandanas, pirate coats or shirts, eye patches, beards, hooks, and all the other appropriate clothing that an honest-to-goodness buccaneer of the seas would wear.  Why, your pirate might even have a scar or a tattoo on their arm or face.  And what self-respecting pirate would leave the school without a parrot on their shoulder?  Arrrrrrr!  No swords or flintlocks, please.  So, put on your best gear so that ye be worthy of joining Captain Stephen’s crew.  But, if you can’t lay your hooks on some pirate clothing, make sure you wear your dancin’ shoes so that you can Rock and Learn with Stephen!
For safety reasons, our yellow field trip t-shirt must be worn.  Do not cover up the yellow field trip t-shirt.

Extra chaperone tickets  are available if you want to go to the Stephen Fite concert.  Adult tickets are $5.00.  Contact me if you are interested.  

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to ask for an adult sized shoe box so start looking or start buying.   We are going to use the shoe box for Valentine mailboxes.  Do not send in shoe boxes until I ask for them.

Thursday night is spirit night at Chappys.  Sounds like a great night to close the kitchen and support our school! 

Upcoming dates:
Thursday, January 10:  Report cards issued
Thursday, January 10:  spirit night at Chappys
Friday, January 18:  Room 115 goes bowling 
Wednesday, February 6:  Stephen Fite concert

Contact me with any questions or concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment