Sunday, December 1, 2013

Happy December!

Welcome back!  No slideshow this week...my home computer needs maintenance.  The photos from our wonderful Thanksgiving Crafternoon will be included in next week's  blog entry.  A big thanks to all the families who supported our Crafternoon, either from home or  volunteering in the classroom.  The students of Room 114 have no idea how much they are loved and supported!  Our next Crafternoon will be Friday, January 31 with a superpower theme! 

We should be allowed to go to the library Monday as a class.  Please make sure library books are in book bags. 

Nancy's Italian Ice is Monday for $1.00.

Please return poetry journals on Monday.  Don't forget to check  for our new poem on Friday in book bags.

In the month of December, I will introduce Accelerated Reader to the students.   The students will begin to take comprehension tests on their library books beginning in January.  For the month of December, we will practice as a total class.  I will send home more information about my philosophy on AR the week of December 16.  I need a volunteer to assist me with the children on taking AR tests in January.  You will be responsible for helping students log-in into the computer program and read the questions and multiple choice answers for the test.  It is very easy and not intimidating.  The time frame would be 9:30-10:35 for the following dates:  Monday, January 13; Tuesday, January 21; Monday, January 27.  Let me know if you are interested in helping.

I am sending home an optional December book order  on Monday. If you choose to order on-line, our class code is GL88R.  The link to order on-line is on the right side of the blog.  Please return order forms by Thursday, December 5.  Let me know if your purchase is for Christmas Secrets and I can get your order to you in a way your child doesn't know.

I will assess address knowledge on Wednesday, December 11.  Thanks for helping your child learn his/her address.

In math, we are starting a new chapter.  We are going to be representing, counting and writing numbers 6 to 9.  We will be thinking of all different ways to make these numbers (example:  to make the number 6:  1 and five more, 2 and four more, 3 and three more, 4 and two more, 5 and 1 more, 6 and 0 more).  This chapter is where I usually see children begin to have difficulty.  Check binders for homework starting on Wednesday night.  Don't let homework be stressful, if you need an extra night to complete, no problem.

In reading, we will be investigating the letter Ii for an additional week.  The word wall words are:  he, for.   I will begin report card testing the week of December 9 so make sure you are practicing the entire list of sight words at home nightly.


I will be out of the classroom on Friday.  I have secured a substitute who is very excited to work in Room 114.  I'm sure it will be a great day for everyone.

Contact me with any questions or concerns.

Upcoming dates:
12.5  Book orders due
12.19  Room 114's Christmas Party at 1:45-2:30
12.20  Kindergarten Polar Express Movie Day - wear pajamas
12.23 - 1.3  Winter Break
1.6  Resume learning in Room 114
1.9  Goodnight Moon at ASF - wear yellow field trip t-shirts
1.20  No school in observance of  King/Lee birthdays
1.31  Room 114's Superpower Crafternoon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment