Friday, May 22, 2015

Close Room 114....Open Summer!

I wanted to share with you how we made the family portraits.  It started with a blank canvas, shapes and happy hearts.  Click here for photos from lthe making of a family project.

The children had fun making their self puppets.  Puppets are an excellent tool for story retelling.  Click here for more puppet fun.

My advice to you to keep your child from suffering from any sliding into "summer drain" is to read seven days a week. Be sure to continue to listen to your child read out loud. Utilize the public library system and participate in their summer reading programs. 

Since reading and writing go hand in hand and the better you read the better you write, then I encourage your child to do some sort of writing each day.  Just keep that home writing center stocked and inviting and see what your child creates.

Grab some flash cards, my favorite brand is located here.   This set is nice because it has ALL the facts unlike some sets that you purchase at Walmart or Target.  Start to see what facts your child already know and increase from there.  Don't start with the entire set.  I suggest starting with all the facts from 0+0 up to 5+5.  Then slowly add the facts that would come next in the order.  Build on what your child already knows.  If your child is struggling with certain facts then pull out manipulatives (pennies, matchbox cars, Legos) and have them make the number sentence.  Allow them to form their own knowledge.  Do not feel like your child needs to know all the facts up to 9+9 by August.  Rather this is just summer practice.  Also, practice counting backwards this will help with subtraction concepts later in the year. 

Working with children every day you see how children learn, think, share, cooperate and attack their curiosity.   You can't  but have high hope for the future of our nation when you hang out with personalities of Room 114.  Our nation's future is very bright.  Enjoy these photos of children with bright futures.


Thank you so much for supporting our classroom.  I wish you a summer full of sweet memories of quality time with your child.  If you ever need educational advice, I will be more than happy to help you. Stay in touch.  First grade looks like so much fun that I'm joining Room 114 as we all make that transition to First Grade.  Thank you for trusting me with your child.  At 3:10 this afternoon, a piece of my heart will walk out of the classroom as I watch your child leave.   

Close Room 114...Open Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment