Has your child shared his/her poetry journal? We had a tremendous time this week talking about how much fun we are going to have "Now" that we have closed summer and opened school. Remember poetry journals come home every Friday and need to be returned on Monday. Please sit down with your child and read and reread the poem together. This week look for a poem that will help us learn the seasons of the year.
Be sure to send a snack for your child or be prepared to purchase a snack at school starting tomorrow. Money is collected only on Mondays. If your child is absent then I will accept snack money upon return to school. If your child is tardy on Monday then no snack can be purchased for that week. The school sells orange juice for $2.50 for the week and popcorn, peanut butter crackers, garden Sun Chips and Cheddar Sun Chips for $2.50. Please make sure all money sent to school is labeled in separate envelopes.
We read lots of books last week. I modeled for the children using the book Tuesday how to read a book by just looking at pictures. They know you don't have to wait until you can read all the words to read a book. Have your child sit down with a picture book and tell you the story by looking at pictures. There is a daily reading log in the white notebook for your child to color each evening after reading for 20 minutes. MPS requires 20 minutes of reading every evening for each student. I will collect the reading logs at the end of every month.
Did you find the blue sheet in the white notebook last Friday? Be sure and save this piece of paper that outlines the whole group reading instruction for the first nine weeks. This week we are studying the letter "Aa". We will learn the saying of "ant on an apple". Our word wall words are: red, blue, yellow, one. Practice those words to the point where your child accurately reads the words upon sight.
We will be talking about color, shape and size this week in math. We will also investigate birthdays, days of the week and months of the year.
Be sure to sign the behavior log found in the white notebook every evening. Last week I was pretty forgiving of behavior as we learned the rules and expectations. This week I'm more strict. Thank you for your support.
On Thursday, August 26 I will be holding several small group meetings to discuss the upcoming Kindergarten year. There was an orange sheet of paper in Friday's notebook outlining the details. You only need to pick one meeting to attend. I hope that every child will have a representative to attend. The meeting will be more productive without children in attendance. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.
Red route bus students will have a new bus tomorrow morning. Hopefully the addition of this bus will get your children home quicker than last week. Remember that any time you have a change in transportation, I must have it writing. I WILL NOT take the word of a child.
Belts are not required to be worn by Kindergarten students.
Field trip t-shirt money is due this Thursday. Check payable to Blount for $5.00.
Time for Kids money is due Wednesday, September 8. Check payable to Time For Kids for $4.50
I'm sending home book order forms tomorrow. Book orders are voluntary. You may write one check (payable to Scholastic) if you order from more than one form. I will send home instructions if you would like to order on-line. The link to ordering on-line is on the blog.
Since Kindergarten is a non-graded grade, you do not have to return any classwork I send home. The notebook is labeled with a keep at home side and a return to school side. Only return papers from the return to school side.
I have pictures from the first week of school that I will put on the blog once I've received all the media release forms. Hopefully next week you can see the fun we are having.
Finally, if you were missing your child last week then you were not alone. On the first day of school I read the book Llama, Llama Misses Mama. For the rest of the week, at some point in the day a child would request that book to be read. So mamas, I just wanted you to know that you were missed too!
Email me with any questions or concerns.
No comments:
Post a Comment