Sunday, October 30, 2011

Goodbye Busy October...Hello Busy November

Goodbye to a busy October and Hello to an even busier November.  Check back packs tomorrow for our October calendar pages.  There will be a sheet of paper attached to the calendar pages with questions to ask your child about our calendar learning.

Last week was so busy but the important thing we did was celebrate a birthday in Room 115.  This friend makes our classroom a fun place to work in play!

This week we will be studying the letter "Zz" as in "Zebra in the zoo."  The sight words are:  see, nine, of, he.

In math we are going to be using the vocabulary words of:  compare, greater, less and same number as we investigate numbers, sets and groups.

The library is having a book fair this week with proceeds benefiting the library.  Children with money may visit the book fair and purchase a book.  Warning:  The book fair sells items other than just books.  Often the children are drawn to the novelties more than the books.  Please discuss with your child what he/she is allowed to spend the money on.   If you join us for lunch, you may visit the book fair with your child and assist in the shopping.  Please label money that is designated for the book fair.

Our field trip was wonderful.  Thanks to ALL the parents that helped and made sure we were accounted for and well taken care of.  Sometimes, when that many parents get together there is  more visiting than assisting. However, that was not true last Wednesday.  Thanks for being such a supportive bunch of parents for Room 115.  I appreciate you more than you will ever know!



I do not want to compete with the book fair but I will send home a book order on Thursday with a due date of Tuesday, November 8.  There are several excellent titles that I'm ordering for the classroom and I wanted to give you the option too.  Remember book orders are OPTIONAL.  If you are ordering online:  our class code is GL88R.

Nancy's Italian Ice is this Monday.  If it is convenient for you, you may pay in advance for the Italian Ice.  I will let you know when you are running low on credit.

Tuesday, November 8 is our first PTA meeting.  The PTA has made it even easier by giving you the night off from cooking dinner by offering pizza for sale.  Please join us as we support our school.


Heads up:  The week of Novemer 14-18 is American Education Week.  On Wednesday, November 16, the children may come to school dressed up as their future careers.  I know how busy families can be so I wanted to give you plenty of time to listen to your child's ideas and create his/her dream job.

The following is from one parent to another if you are need of some help with Christmas shopping.  Have you heard about Magnatiles in our classroom?   I can promise you that every child in Room 115 likes to spend time with this classroom tool.  I have a set of Magnatiles at my house and my children play with these EVERY DAY!   My husband says that we could get rid of every toy in our house except the Magnatiles, the baby dolls and our dog and the girls would never miss what we got rid of.  I don't agree but I do know that children love these.  If you are in need of a quality toy at your house, I recommend this:  http://www.kaplantoys.com/store/trans/productDetailForm.asp?CatID=4%7CKTBL04%7C0&PID=48099  .  Once you get over the high price, please know that they are very well constructed and the amount that your child will play with it will be worth the steep price.  You are more than welcome to visit the classroom and play with the Magnatiles. It is amazing the creations that the children build with them.   Google for the best price.  Right now the above link has a sale for 20% off your purchase and free shipping.  Go to this website for parent reviews:  http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/magna_tiles/magna_tiles_clear_colors_100_pc_set.cfm  .

We ended the weekend with a celebration of the book Miss Spider's Tea Party by David Kirk.  All Miss Spider wanted was a friend.  We celebrated friendship with our version of Miss Spider's Tea Party complete with a craft.  Thank you to all the parents who assisted, decorated and visited with the children.  It is nice to have so many people loving Room 115.



Email me with any questions or concerns you may have.  Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment