Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Busy, Busy Week

What a busy week this is going to be.  If you  have older children in the system, you know all about DIBELS (Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills).  Well MPS decided to do away with DIBELS  this year but then they changed their minds.  Soooo...our class will be tested tomorrow.  Nothing to worry about or prepare for...it just interrupts our schedule.  (If you are new to the word DIBELS,  I will explain later when we send home the scores.)  On Tuesday, we will have extra students in our classroom while another K teacher is on the DIBELS testing team.  Nothing to worry about...it just interrupts our schedule.  On Friday, the children will rotate to each of the other four Kindergarten classroom for fun holiday crafts.  A lot of FUN.... but it interrupts our schedule.  So the key word this week is flexibility.   Check binders nightly for reading homework but don't be surprised if it doesn't come home nightly.

In reading we will be investigating the letter Jj as in "jellybean in the jar."  The word wall words are:  with, for, then,some.  I will begin assessing word wall words this Wednesday.  My assessment covers ALL the word wall words since school began.

In math, we have moved into subtraction.  The big concept for the children to get across is that you start out with a group and it gets smaller as you take things away.  We have started to have addition worksheets during the day.  Those will come home in binders for you to monitor your child's progress.

Send library books but the library will probably be closed due to DIBELS testing.  I will try to squeeze two children down at a time if the library opens before the end of the day.

Italian Ice is Monday for $1.00.  Please return poetry journals on Monday too.

We have enough toilet tissue rolls for a special craft this week.  Thanks for your help.

Heads up:  In LATE January, I will start collecting empty shoe boxes for Valentine mail boxes.  The kids get so much Valentine mail that adult shoes boxes are needed.  I prefer shoe boxes that have a detachable lid but those are very hard to find.  Most adult shoe boxes come with the lid attached now days.  So if new shoes/boots are under your Christmas tree this year, please save the box.  Do not send the box until I ask for it due to a lack of storage in our classroom.

The room parents have sent out an email about the class Christmas party on Thursday, December 20.  It is from 1:30-2:15 pm.  I hope you can attend. Thanks for supporting the room parents in making sure Room 115 celebrates in style. 

Change of date: The Kindergarten children will be having a Polar Express Day on Wednesday, December 19.  Pajamas are in order for that day.  We will be watching the movie Polar Express.  Please contact me if you  would rather not allow your child to watch the movie.

Either my camera, my computer or blogger is not cooperating but I cannot load pictures today onto the blog. Thanks for understanding.  I'll make sure to post extra next week.

Thanks for supporting our classroom.  I am a very blessed teacher.  Contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Upcoming Events:
Wednesday , December 19:  Kindergarten watches the Polar Express (wear pajamas)
Thursday, December 20:  Room 115 Christmas Party,  1:30-2:15 pm
Monday, December 24-Wednesday, January 2:  NO SCHOOL
Thursday, January 3:  School is in session

No comments:

Post a Comment