Sunday, March 3, 2013

Hello March and the end of the third nine weeks!



Thank you so much for making last week so much fun as we celebrated reading and the joy found in books.  I know how hard it is to keep track of everything going on at school but you guys are great!  The children had tremendous fun all week.  Thank you so much for supporting our school.  The children looked great for the parade.   We missed one special friend due to illness but her brother brought in her poster so we looked at it all day and missed sweet, sweet "A!"   I hope your child will always celebrate books!

Can you believe the third nine weeks grading period ends Friday?  It flew by.  I will be testing this week for report cards.  Reading groups will be abbreviated so homework may or may not come home nightly.  Check binders to see if your child has homework.

No new letters or sight words this week since I'm testing for report cards.  I will send home a new word wall word list on Thursday for the remainder of the school year.  Look for it in binders. 

In math, we are finishing up large number and will begin shapes.  There is specific vocabulary for the new math unit on shapes.  I will send home a list on Thursday of math vocabulary words to assist your child with at home.  



Stopping in the middle of day and dropping everything to read was a big hit.  Wouldn't it be nice if this was a way of life for everyone in the world!

Our poem this week will involve comprehension.  There is nothing more exciting to me than to see a child learn how to decode words and understand what those words mean.  Look for the new poem on Friday.

You can still turn in Mixed Bag orders on Monday if you forgot last week.  Nancy's Italian Ice day is Monday for $1.00.  Don't forget to send in $5.00 to cover the cost of supplies for a very special surprise Room 115 will have for you  on May 16.  I would like all May Surprise money to be turned in by  Wednesday.  Please let me know if this is a problem for you.

Save the date and volunteers needed:  Room 115 will have a spring egg hunt on Friday, March 22 at 11:30 am.  I need volunteers to hide eggs and more volunteers to lead a small group of students on a scavenger hunt.   The time frame is about one hour.  Please let me know if you can help with this event.

Thanks for the parents that came to read to Room 115 last week. We loved the books and listening to the voices the grown ups used.  Even though your child is beginning to read, it is still very important for him/her to be read aloud to by you.   If you were unable to come but would like to read to the class, please let me know and I'm sure we can find a day and time that is convenient for everyone.


I will be attending a math curriculum meeting on Monday morning.  I will return to Room 115 by 10:00 am. So thankful that I was able to secure an excellent sub, even for that short time away from the students.

Look at these big smiles and silly hats.  I'm very lucky that these are the people I spend my day with.  Thanks for trusting me with your child.  Contact me with any questions.


Upcoming dates:
Wednesday, March 6:  Room 115's assessment of Word Wall Words
Wednesday, March 14:  report cards issued
Friday, March 22:  Spring Egg Hunt for  Room 115 @ 11:30 am  (volunteers needed)
Monday, March 25-Friday, March 29:  Spring Break -no school 
Thursday,  May 16:  Kindergarten end of the year celebration  @ 9:00 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment