The big, big news from last week is that Room 115 got a new friend. We now have 10 boys and 12 girls. Our new friend loves the color pink, puppies, and pizza. She is going to fit right in with favorites like that. Please join us for lunch and meet her.
The fourth quarter begins on Monday. The third quarter of school flew by and I'm afraid the same will be said for the next ten weeks. I'm sending home a word wall list for the remainder of the school year. I'm also sending home a sheet for math vocabulary words for the next chapter. Look for those in Monday's take home binder.
What does the last part of Kindergarten look like? Lots of writing. We will be putting our thoughts down on paper. Remember how I shared at the small group meeting in September that writers demonstrate thinking and thinking demonstrates comprehension. Reading and writing go together. The better the reader you are, the better the writer. Reading takes practice and writing takes practice. I encourage you to have a designated spot at your house for writing tools and paper. Encourage your child to write stories. Don't worry about spelling. Tell your child to write the sounds they hear. If you get in the habit of spelling words for your child, he/she will be more concerned about the spelling as opposed to the content. At this age, we want content. I promise you that conventional spelling will come with time. The slide show above shows volunteers from Friday that wanted to share their recent writing.
Reading for this week will be the letter Gg as in goose in the grass. The word wall words are: said, would, ran, in, could, just.
In math we are identifying and describing two-dimensional shapes. Look for a math vocabulary sheet in Monday's binder to assist with learning at home. This month we are going to be playing some different card games. You may want to purchase a deck of cards to have on hand for family game night. I'm sure your child is going to come home and want to teach you the games we are playing in class.
We have our March Crafteroon this Friday. What a response the room parents have to work with. I can't thank you enough for the support you give to Room 115! Join us in the fun starting at 1:45 or 1:10 if you want to help decorate.
On Wednesday, April 17, the Kindergarten and First Grade students from Blount will attend a live performance of the popular children's book Click, Clack, Moo at the Davis Theater. Our class has five chaperone tickets available for parents. The cost for a parent ticket is $9.00 and will be purchased when we send home student information. I am going to let the first five parents who contact me have the tickets. I'm giving you notice to make work arrangements or child care for younger siblings. If interested, you would need to be at the Davis Theater from 9:15 to about 11:15 on Wednesday, April 17. Let me know if you are interested in one of the five chaperone tickets. Do not send any money at this time. All you need to do is tell me that you want one of the five tickets allotted to our class.
Nancy's Italian Ice is Monday for $1.00. Please return poetry journals on Monday. The poem for this upcoming week is a loud one!
Even though the days are now longer and it looks like Spring is on its way, the learning in Room 115 is not slowing down. The learning stops on the last day of school. Please support me in expecting appropriate behavior. I will let you know of any concerns I observe.
The fourth quarter begins on Monday. The third quarter of school flew by and I'm afraid the same will be said for the next ten weeks. I'm sending home a word wall list for the remainder of the school year. I'm also sending home a sheet for math vocabulary words for the next chapter. Look for those in Monday's take home binder.
What does the last part of Kindergarten look like? Lots of writing. We will be putting our thoughts down on paper. Remember how I shared at the small group meeting in September that writers demonstrate thinking and thinking demonstrates comprehension. Reading and writing go together. The better the reader you are, the better the writer. Reading takes practice and writing takes practice. I encourage you to have a designated spot at your house for writing tools and paper. Encourage your child to write stories. Don't worry about spelling. Tell your child to write the sounds they hear. If you get in the habit of spelling words for your child, he/she will be more concerned about the spelling as opposed to the content. At this age, we want content. I promise you that conventional spelling will come with time. The slide show above shows volunteers from Friday that wanted to share their recent writing.
Reading for this week will be the letter Gg as in goose in the grass. The word wall words are: said, would, ran, in, could, just.
In math we are identifying and describing two-dimensional shapes. Look for a math vocabulary sheet in Monday's binder to assist with learning at home. This month we are going to be playing some different card games. You may want to purchase a deck of cards to have on hand for family game night. I'm sure your child is going to come home and want to teach you the games we are playing in class.
We have our March Crafteroon this Friday. What a response the room parents have to work with. I can't thank you enough for the support you give to Room 115! Join us in the fun starting at 1:45 or 1:10 if you want to help decorate.
Our Spring Egg Hunt will be Friday, March 22 beginning at 11:30. I need volunteers to help me. Look for information about the Spring Egg Hunt in Thursday's take home binder.
On Wednesday, April 17, the Kindergarten and First Grade students from Blount will attend a live performance of the popular children's book Click, Clack, Moo at the Davis Theater. Our class has five chaperone tickets available for parents. The cost for a parent ticket is $9.00 and will be purchased when we send home student information. I am going to let the first five parents who contact me have the tickets. I'm giving you notice to make work arrangements or child care for younger siblings. If interested, you would need to be at the Davis Theater from 9:15 to about 11:15 on Wednesday, April 17. Let me know if you are interested in one of the five chaperone tickets. Do not send any money at this time. All you need to do is tell me that you want one of the five tickets allotted to our class.
Nancy's Italian Ice is Monday for $1.00. Please return poetry journals on Monday. The poem for this upcoming week is a loud one!
Even though the days are now longer and it looks like Spring is on its way, the learning in Room 115 is not slowing down. The learning stops on the last day of school. Please support me in expecting appropriate behavior. I will let you know of any concerns I observe.
Upcoming dates:
Thursday, March 14: report cards issued
Friday, March 15: Room 115's March Crafternoon
Friday, March 22: Spring Egg Hunt for Room 115 @ 11:30 am (volunteers needed)
Monday, March 25-Friday, March 29: Spring Break -no school
Wednesday, April 17: Kindergarten field trip to Davis Theater
Thursday, May 16: Kindergarten end of the year celebration @ 9:00 AM
Contact me with any concerns or questions you may have. Thank you for trusting me with your child.
No comments:
Post a Comment