Sunday, April 27, 2014

Goodbye April...Hello May!

What a fun day we had for field day.  Coach Grant planned an excellent morning for us.  Thanks to the parents that came to assist and cheer.  Enjoy these photos of field day!

Our field trip to the zoo is this Thursday.  Please dress your child in the yellow field trip t-shirt.  No need to send a lunch for Thursday, Chick-Fil-A is bringing lunch to us at the zoo.  The cost of lunch was included in the price of the field trip.  Chaperone parents can order a Chick-Fil-A lunch  for $7.00 with a deadline of Monday.  We will leave at 9:00 am and return between 1:30 and 2:00 pm.

The children will be wearing the yellow field trip t-shirt for the Kindergarten Celebration on Friday, May 23.  Khaki bottoms (shorts, skorts, or pants) need to be worn for the Kindergarten Celebration.  The Kindergarten Celebration begins at 9:00 in the lunchroom.  Immediately after the Kindergarten program, we will have a celebration of Room 114 in our classroom.  You will be back at work by 11:00.  If you need to get back to work earlier, I can make arrangements  for you.

Friday is our fiesta crafternoon.  Thank you for the overwhelming support of our Crafternoons.  It is hard to believe this is our final one.  Come Friday at 1:00 to help set up or 1:30 when the children return.

Monday is Nancy's Italian Ice for $1.00.  Return poetry journals on Monday and library books too.  The library will close on May 7 for the year.


Look at the readers in our classroom!   The students in Room 114 range from the five point club to the twenty-five point club.  We celebrate and cheer when a classmate moves to a new level.  Thank you for continuing to help us become stronger readers by listening to us read out loud at home. 


In math, we will begin measurement this week but continue to work on our addition and subtraction facts.  Look for April Calendar pages to come home  on Thursday.

In reading, we will spend two weeks on the letter Uu.  High Frequency Words are:  what, said, was. 

Last Monday and Tuesday, I read the children  the book The Paper Bag Princess.  I didn't show them the pictures.  Instead I stopped at seven intervals and had them draw their mental images (the movie inside their heads.)  This is a good exercise to see their thinking as they listen to a story.  Just more practice to build comprehension skills.  Look for your child's mental images in binders on Monday.  Here are photos  of practicing mental images.

I will be out of the classroom on Wednesday.  The children will be well taken care of during my absence.  I will be back on Thursday for our field trip.  


 
We have several special projects that we are working on for the month of May.  The above photo is just the beginning of one special project.  I love looking at those hands and imagining the future that those hands will touch.  I observe the way those hands work and show care for one another and I have great hope for the future. I'm very sad to see April leave and know what happens at the end of May.  Those hands touch my heart every day.  We are going to make the most of the month of May and celebrate each day.  I cannot express to you how much I love your child.  Thank you for trusting me with their Kindergarten year!

If you happen to pop into our classroom unannounced during the month of May, do not look around too closely.  We have several surprises that will make us sad if you see them  before we are ready. 

Upcoming Events:
Thursday, May 1 is Kindergarten's  all day field trip to the zoo. Wear yellow field trip t-shirts. 
Friday, May 2 is our final Crafternoon at 1:30  (1:00 is set up)
Friday, May 23 is the Kindergarten Celebration in the lunchroom at 9:00 AM.  We will have a celebration of Room 114 immediately following the Kindergarten Celebration.  You should be able to be back at work by 11:00 AM.   Wear yellow field trip t-shirts and khaki bottoms. 
Thursday, May 29 is the last day of school for students.

Contact me with any questions or concerns!

No comments:

Post a Comment