We had a very busy first week of September. Our poetry journal poem last week was about a girl named Lazy Jane. Thankfully, we do not have any Lazy Janes in Room 114. Please return poetry journals on Monday and look for a new poem next Friday.
We spent a lot of time last week finding rhyming words. We were able to identify books that were rhyming books. Manipulate words at home and ask your child to think of rhyming words. It is perfectly natural if your child comes up with a "pretend" word for a rhyme. We want your child to understand that rhyming words have the same middle and ending sound so don't be concerned if the word they rhyme is a nonsense word.
This week in reading we are working to recognize the letters Ff, Gg, Hh, Ii, Jj, Ki, Ll, Mm, Nn. The sight words for the week are : I and am. Look for the Family Times booklet in Monday's binder. This booklet has excellent activities to do at home to reinforce classroom instruction. Those activities do not need to be returned to school.
It is shapes galore in Room 114. We are investigating 2 dimensional shapes (2-D). These shapes are classified as flat. Monday we will begin to use the word vertex (vertices) for where two lines meet as we investigate squares. Please help us to use that word when you are looking at our classwork that comes home in binders. We are having a fun time as we become shape experts.
Monday is our library day. Please help your child to remember to return his/her library book on Monday so that a new book can be checked out.
Monday is also Nancy's Italian Ice for $1.00. Juice and Snack can be purchased on Monday for the entire week. ($2.50 for juice and $2.50 for snack.) Please label all money.
I am aware that some people are not receiving my emails. I sent a mass email out to parents immediately after posting this entry letting you know the blog was updated. Please try contacting me by email (and written note on Monday if you don't get a reply from me by late Sunday evening) if you did not get my Sunday email. I've noticed this especially applies to yahoo accounts. Please be patient with this as I try to figure out what is happening. I try to be very prompt with email. So if you don't hear a reply within twelve hours, please resend, write a note or use my personal account.
The first PTA meeting is this Tuesday at 6:00 pm. Mugshots will be there providing a hamburger dinner for $5.00 to make dinnertime more convenient. I encourage you to join and volunteer with the PTA.
I'm looking forward to meeting with you this Thursday night at our Kindergarten meeting. If you need to switch times, please let me know. I appreciate you making childcare arrangements so that we can discuss Kindergarten without distractions. The meeting should last about an hour.
We made self portraits on Friday. Crayons were not allowed, only scissors, glue and construction paper. It was an excellent test of our patience as we made our faces just right. Make a spot in your house full of construction paper, scissors, glue and add tape and a stapler and see what your child's imagination creates. Research shows that children with big imaginations are good problem solvers. Our self portraits will be used in our classroom to display the five life skills we have in our classroom. We are helpful, careful, patient, respectful and responsible.
I do not allow boyfriend/girlfriend talk in the classroom. That kind of talk began to emerge last week. On Friday, we had a class meeting to address this issue. I have told the children that when they are SIXTEEN, they may bring their girlfriend or boyfriend back to Room 114 and I would love to meet him/her. Since no one in our class is SIXTEEN, we are not going to talk about boyfriends or girlfriends. Please support me on this issue. In Room 114, we are friends with each person and that is demonstrated by how we are helpful, careful, patient, respectful, and responsible to one another.
Upcoming events:
9.10 PTA General Membership meeting @6:00. Mugshots will be on campus to provide a hamburger dinner for $5.00.
9.12 Cluster Meeting for Room 114: choose either 5:30 pm or 7:00 pm to attend. No children please.
9.17 Spirit Night at Chappy's
9.27 Box Top collection day
10.8 Fall Picture Day
10.17 Blount Fall Festival
Contact me with any questions or concerns you have. Have a great week!
We spent a lot of time last week finding rhyming words. We were able to identify books that were rhyming books. Manipulate words at home and ask your child to think of rhyming words. It is perfectly natural if your child comes up with a "pretend" word for a rhyme. We want your child to understand that rhyming words have the same middle and ending sound so don't be concerned if the word they rhyme is a nonsense word.
This week in reading we are working to recognize the letters Ff, Gg, Hh, Ii, Jj, Ki, Ll, Mm, Nn. The sight words for the week are : I and am. Look for the Family Times booklet in Monday's binder. This booklet has excellent activities to do at home to reinforce classroom instruction. Those activities do not need to be returned to school.
It is shapes galore in Room 114. We are investigating 2 dimensional shapes (2-D). These shapes are classified as flat. Monday we will begin to use the word vertex (vertices) for where two lines meet as we investigate squares. Please help us to use that word when you are looking at our classwork that comes home in binders. We are having a fun time as we become shape experts.
Monday is our library day. Please help your child to remember to return his/her library book on Monday so that a new book can be checked out.
Monday is also Nancy's Italian Ice for $1.00. Juice and Snack can be purchased on Monday for the entire week. ($2.50 for juice and $2.50 for snack.) Please label all money.
I am aware that some people are not receiving my emails. I sent a mass email out to parents immediately after posting this entry letting you know the blog was updated. Please try contacting me by email (and written note on Monday if you don't get a reply from me by late Sunday evening) if you did not get my Sunday email. I've noticed this especially applies to yahoo accounts. Please be patient with this as I try to figure out what is happening. I try to be very prompt with email. So if you don't hear a reply within twelve hours, please resend, write a note or use my personal account.
The first PTA meeting is this Tuesday at 6:00 pm. Mugshots will be there providing a hamburger dinner for $5.00 to make dinnertime more convenient. I encourage you to join and volunteer with the PTA.
I'm looking forward to meeting with you this Thursday night at our Kindergarten meeting. If you need to switch times, please let me know. I appreciate you making childcare arrangements so that we can discuss Kindergarten without distractions. The meeting should last about an hour.
We made self portraits on Friday. Crayons were not allowed, only scissors, glue and construction paper. It was an excellent test of our patience as we made our faces just right. Make a spot in your house full of construction paper, scissors, glue and add tape and a stapler and see what your child's imagination creates. Research shows that children with big imaginations are good problem solvers. Our self portraits will be used in our classroom to display the five life skills we have in our classroom. We are helpful, careful, patient, respectful and responsible.
I do not allow boyfriend/girlfriend talk in the classroom. That kind of talk began to emerge last week. On Friday, we had a class meeting to address this issue. I have told the children that when they are SIXTEEN, they may bring their girlfriend or boyfriend back to Room 114 and I would love to meet him/her. Since no one in our class is SIXTEEN, we are not going to talk about boyfriends or girlfriends. Please support me on this issue. In Room 114, we are friends with each person and that is demonstrated by how we are helpful, careful, patient, respectful, and responsible to one another.
Upcoming events:
9.10 PTA General Membership meeting @6:00. Mugshots will be on campus to provide a hamburger dinner for $5.00.
9.12 Cluster Meeting for Room 114: choose either 5:30 pm or 7:00 pm to attend. No children please.
9.17 Spirit Night at Chappy's
9.27 Box Top collection day
10.8 Fall Picture Day
10.17 Blount Fall Festival
Contact me with any questions or concerns you have. Have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment